Sunday, November 10, 2013

This is the most aggressive image in the (PEACE) WORDS series. It is demanding. When the t-shirt with the "O" as a red peace symbol was designed, I envisioned militant dykes marching on Washington. (The next version of NOW was in much softer, "lipstick" colors!) We should all be so militant and demanding for peace.
As graffiti, this image intimidates people ~ they smile and put up barriers. While wearing a NOW t-shirt, people won’t look me in the eye. It touches their conscience the same way WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TODAY TO SAVE THE WORLD? does (an image with the same aggressive directness from the Universal Peace series). Possibly, repetition of the NOW image is the magic chord needed to topple the walls we all inherently build.
Without a frame, the word "NOW" with the peace symbol may have been in existence before my design. I always equate it with the National Organization of Women though, like HOPE for Barack Obama, thus far, my version has failed to be endorsed. Maybe I should have added an exclamation point. And stomped my foot!

No comments: